Requirements to Bring With You to Vote
A current photo ID is required of all voters casting a ballot in person. There are exceptions for certain confined voters and voters casting absentee ballots by mail. Acceptable forms of ID include:
- Driver’s License
- Military ID
- Picture ID from the Bureau of Motor Vehicles
Your form of ID must:
- Include a photograph
- Match the name on your voter registration record
- An expiration date after Election Day (November 3, 2020)
- A student ID from an Indiana State School may only be used if it meets all of the criteria specified above.
- A student ID from a private institution may not be used for voting purposes.
What if I do not have a valid photo ID?
If you do not possess an ID that is acceptable for voting purposes, Public Law 109-2005 requires the BMV issue a free Indiana State ID Card. To obtain this ID card from any BMV license branch, you will need to supply the necessary documentation. To find the closest BMV branch and location hours, visit in.gov/branch-locations-and-hours.
For assistance obtaining a valid ID, Vote Riders (voteriders.org) is providing free assistance towards obtaining documents (such as birth certificates, change of name records) and arranging rides to and from ID-issuing offices. Contact Vote Riders at 844-338-8743.
For any assistance or questions, please call our office at 317-926-1660.